Thursday, December 12, 2013

Day 42/365 - The history behind the lights

The story starts with a little girl who's initials were M.A.M (me) - thus, M&M became a nickname for her and her mother collecting all types of M&M paraphernalia (tins, watches, & of course chocolate).

....fast forward years down the road when she starting dating Michael. M&M now standing for Michael and Molly (to whom I'm now married). After my hubby and I were engaged and decided on a color scheme for the wedding, I got the bright idea of writing Mars Corporation to see if they would be willing to donate M&M candies for my wedding reception. I sent the request to two places. The first, which I expected, was I'm sorry we can't do this, but here are some stickers and thank you for being a great customer. The other response, however, took my family and I by surprise. Written by the CEO - he told me they would be happy to complete this request to such a great consumer of their products and to please call his secretary to set up the details. WOW! Seriously?!

I called the number he had provided and the secretary had all kinds of questions - How many guests are you expecting? Where do you intend to use the M&Ms? As party favors? Bowls? On the table? What color/s would I like? Good grief lady - I just got engaged! I had NO CLUE what to do with them. I told her plain & Easter colored would be fine (our wedding was in May and spring colored wedding). Approximately a month before the wedding 125 lbs of M&Ms showed up at my parents home...FREE! UNBELIEVABLE!

My first child's room was decorated in primary colors (didn't know her gender), and we used many of the M&M tins and such for her brightly colored room. Since then, I have weeded out these items and moved on. This is one of the last items of M&Ms I have remaining - a small string of M&M lights strung on my daughters' dollhouse.

Aren't stories fun?!

CC welcome
Metadata: 50mm, ISO1600, F3.5, 1/125

5 comments:

Clarisa said...

Fun photo and I LOVE the story! Wow, that is fantastic that they sent you all those M&Ms for your wedding.

MNoePhotography said...

Thank you for taking the time to read the story. It was very surprising to get so many M&Ms for free. We had them EVERYWHERE and still had left-overs

Amy Marten Photography said...

how fun is that?!? Such a great story and that is awesome that they sent you 125lbs worth of FREE M&M's!!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE this story!!! How cool! Not many people have a story like this... and it's really neat that the CEO went out of his way like that (or... um... his secretary - lol!). Awesome!

MNoePhotography said...

We thought it was great too. Very unexpected and had so many bags of M&Ms left that our families distributed them. Glad you like the story.